£30.00Distance: 20km Difficulty: easy Ascent: 140m
DATE:Saturday 5 February 2022
Add to Google Calendar
HIKING DIFFICULTY:Distance: 20km
CATEGORIES:Abbey, Bridge, Castle, Cathedral, Church, City, City walls, Cobbled streets, Exhibition, Gardens, Gatehouse, Guided tour, Hike, Hills, History, Market, Monument, Museums, Panoramic views, Park, Punting, River, Shopping, Statues, Theatre, Tower, Villages, Woodland
COST:This amazing trip costs £30.00 .
WHAT'S INCLUDED: This includes the well-organised trip with all of the logistics and route planned, 2-way transport, and some awesome hike buddies.
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED: We don't normally go inside buildings or attractions that charge an entry fee unless stated in the "Extra Activity Costs" section below.
EXTRA ACTIVITY COSTS:No extra activity costs.
DESTINATION INFO:Canterbury was one of the most important centres of pilgrimage in Medieval England and for hundreds of years pilgrims from all over Christendom made a once in a lifetime journey to visit the shrine of Saint Thomas Becket was murdered at the cathedral in 1170.
Canterbury was further made famous by Geoffrey Chaucer’s book The Canterbury Tales, a collection of stories about the lives of pilgrims travelling to visit St Thomas Becket’s shrine.
Canterbury is now a busy market city with much of its medieval character preserved, where you can see the Westgate which is the largest surviving city gate in England, the Norman Canterbury Castle, St Martin’s Church which is the oldest church in Britain, St Augustine’s Abbey ruins, the Roman Museum, the city wall founded in Roman times, and 12th/13th century buildings by the River Stour: Greyfriars, Blackfriars and Eastbridge Hospital, and Canterbury Cathedral.
HIGHLIGHTS:– See the stunning Westgate Towers, the largest surviving city gate in England.
– Visit Canterbury Cathedral and see where thousands of pilgrims came to visit St Thomas Becket’s shrine.
– Stroll through the beautiful Westgate Gardens.
– Walk along the top of the magnificent city walls.
– Climb to the top of Dane John mound to see views of the surrounding area.
– Explore the little cobbled streets around the Buttermarket.
DEPARTURE:MEETING TIME: 08:45 . We'll leave the departure point after 5 mins so you must arrive well before then.
MEETING LOCATION: Wasabi sushi shop, Victoria Station
MAP: [Google Maps] [Citymapper]
RETURN TO LONDON:ARRIVAL TIME: 19:15
ARRIVAL LOCATION: Same as departure location. Note that we have group tickets and you need to return with us to the departure location.
TRIP UPDATES:No updates.
NOTE:– Check the Transport For London website (https://tfl.gov.uk) for details of any issues on the public transport network on this date, and use the journey planner to find the best way to arrive at our morning meeting point on time.
– You are responsible for your personal safety and your belongings at all times.
– Details of our trip may be changed to ensure that our trip runs smoothly, so you should check this event description and the updates section regularly, before coming on the trip and also during the trip if you break away from the group.
– You should buy your own travel insurance.
– There are no refunds unless we cancel the trip, and places are non-transferable.
COVID-19 SAFETY:– As an organised group we can currently run day trips and hikes with up to 30 people.
– We are still required to follow Covid rules and restrictions laid down by the government, the NHS, the transport companies, and the places we visit. You are personally responsible so please stay aware of this.
– Please bring and wear a face mask where appropriate, maintain social distancing, and bring your own hand sanitiser gel and use this regularly throughout the day.
WHAT TO BRING:– CLOTHING: It's always good to be prepared so we'd recommend always wearing footwear that is comfortable and supportive and suitable for walking/hiking on all terrain. The weather can change so bring some extra warm layers, a waterproof jacket, a hat and sunglasses, and it can be helpful to carry it in a light bag or rucksack.
– FOOD & DRINK: Bring a large bottle of water, and for hikes you should bring a packed lunch as we may have lunch somewhere scenic and away from shops.