£32.00Distance: 19km Difficulty: easy Ascent: mostly flat
DATE:Saturday 19 March 2022
Add to Google Calendar
HIKING DIFFICULTY:Distance: 19km.
Elevation: mostly flat.
CATEGORIES:Bridge, Castle, Church, City, City walls, Cobbled streets, Gardens, Guided tour, History, Market, Monument, Museums, Panoramic views, Punting, River, Royalty, Shopping, University
COST:This amazing trip costs £32.00 .
WHAT'S INCLUDED: This includes the well-organised trip with all of the logistics and route planned, 2-way transport, and some awesome hike buddies.
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED: We don't normally go inside buildings or attractions that charge an entry fee unless stated in the "Extra Activity Costs" section below.
EXTRA ACTIVITY COSTS:In the free time in the afternoon, you can go inside the university colleges, attractions and Harry Potter locations. Some of these places are free to enter and some have a small entrance fee.
DESTINATION INFO:Oxford, the ‘city of dreaming spires’ is steeped in a rich and fascinating history. Famous for it’s prestigious Oxford University and its 38 colleges, and for over 800 years it has been home to royalty and many notable scholars. The Radcliffe Camera, Bodleian Library and Bridge of Sighs make up just a few of the famous picturesque buildings of Oxford. Its charming scenery has been the inspiration for many, including Lewis Carroll and J.R.R Tolkien, and there are many recognisable scenes from popular films such as Harry Potter.
HIGHLIGHTS:– Follow the River Thames on a hike through Wolvercote and Port Meadow.
– Walk under the Bridge of Sighs, resembling the famous Bridge of Sighs in Venice.
– See the spectacular Radcliffe Camera building and the Bodleian Library.
– See the birthplace of Richard the Lionheart and Bad King John, the king who was forced to sign the Magna Carta, the first human rights document.
– Some free time where you can visit the beautiful university colleges including the Harry Potter dining room at Christ Church, pop into the Alice In Wonderland shop, explore the Ashmolean Museum and its world famous collections, have a drink in the pub where CS Lewis and JRR Tolkein used to meet every week, and climb up St Mary’s Church for panoramic views of Oxford.
DEPARTURE:MEETING TIME: 08:15 . We'll leave the departure point after 5 mins so you must arrive well before then.
MEETING LOCATION: Pret A Manger, Platform 1, Paddington Station
MAP: [Google Maps] [Citymapper]
RETURN TO LONDON:ARRIVAL TIME: 18:25
ARRIVAL LOCATION: Same as departure location. Note that we have group tickets and you need to return with us to the departure location.
TRIP UPDATES:No updates.
NOTE:– Check the Transport For London website (https://tfl.gov.uk) for details of any issues on the public transport network on this date, and use the journey planner to find the best way to arrive at our morning meeting point on time.
– You are responsible for your personal safety and your belongings at all times.
– Details of our trip may be changed to ensure that our trip runs smoothly, so you should check this event description and the updates section regularly, before coming on the trip and also during the trip if you break away from the group.
– You should buy your own travel insurance.
– There are no refunds unless we cancel the trip, and places are non-transferable.
COVID-19 SAFETY:– As an organised group we can currently run day trips and hikes with up to 30 people.
– We are still required to follow Covid rules and restrictions laid down by the government, the NHS, the transport companies, and the places we visit. You are personally responsible so please stay aware of this.
– Please bring and wear a face mask where appropriate, maintain social distancing, and bring your own hand sanitiser gel and use this regularly throughout the day.
WHAT TO BRING:– CLOTHING: It's always good to be prepared so we'd recommend always wearing footwear that is comfortable and supportive and suitable for walking/hiking on all terrain. The weather can change so bring some extra warm layers, a waterproof jacket, a hat and sunglasses, and it can be helpful to carry it in a light bag or rucksack.
– FOOD & DRINK: Bring a large bottle of water, and for hikes you should bring a packed lunch as we may have lunch somewhere scenic and away from shops.